AMFM Music Performance Scholarship
AMFM is now broadening the Tim King Scholarship Fund program and accepting applications for its newly established Music Performance Scholarship. This $5,000 scholarship will be awarded to a current high school senior who intends to pursue a bachelor’s degree in vocal or instrumental music performance.
Candidates must meet the following basic criteria:
- Be a current high school student residing in Anne Arundel County, scheduled to graduate in May/June 2018
- Be a musician active in high school chorus, band, orchestra, jazz band, or other school-sponsored performance group
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Intend to pursue a bachelor’s degree in music performance (instrumental or vocal)
Candidates will be evaluated using a points-based system. Candidates will receive one point per activity per school year under each criteria listed below. Example: Candidate who participates in school band, community orchestra, school musical, All County Orchestra, and takes private music lessons all in one school year will receive a total of five points for that year. The activities below apply to the candidate’s high school career only:
- Active membership in school band, orchestra, choir/chorus, or other similar musical performance group: one point per year per activity.
- Volunteer music participation (non-paid) such as community orchestra or church orchestra or choir: one point per year per activity.
- Participation in special performances such as school musicals, Battle of the Bands, pep bands, All County/All State Ensemble competitions, solo/ensemble competitions, etc.: one point per year per activity.
- Selected to participate in All County, All State, Regional performances, orchestra side-by-side performances, etc.: one point per year per activity.
- Attending private lessons: one point per year.
In addition to completing the scholarship application, candidates are required to submit the following supporting documentation:
- Current high school transcript (unofficial is permitted)
- Copy of college acceptance letter
- Essay (500-750 words, typewritten, double-spaced) or video (provide file on portable media or provide YouTube or other link to online video content). The essay or narrative video should answer the question “What role has music played in my life and how will it shape and influence my future?” The essay or video will be awarded up to five points.
- Optional: Letter(s) of recommendation from music instructor, coach, or mentor (minimum of one letter is strongly recommended but not required).
- Optional: Submission of a performance video not to exceed three minutes in length. Performance video will be awarded up to five points.
Applications and supporting documentation should be mailed to:
PO Box 6262
Annapolis, MD 21401
Applications will also be accepted in digital/soft copy format and can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. All scanned documents must be clear and legible and should be submitted in PDF format.
Click here to download and print the application form – it is five pages in length.
Application deadline is April 15, 2018. Awardee will be announced on or about May 15, 2018.
If you have any questions regarding the scholarship, please contact AMFM at email@example.com.