The Tim King Music Performance Scholarship
AMFM is now accepting applications for its third annual Tim King Music Performance Scholarship. This $5,000 scholarship will be awarded to a current high school senior who intends to pursue a bachelor’s degree in vocal or instrumental music performance.
Candidates must meet the following basic criteria:
- Be a current high school student attending school in Anne Arundel County, scheduled to graduate in May/June 2020
- Be a musician active in high school chorus, band, orchestra, jazz band, or other school-sponsored performance group
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Intend to pursue a bachelor’s degree in music performance (instrumental or vocal)
Candidates will be evaluated using a points-based system. Candidates will be evaluated based on the criteria below. The activities described in the application should only apply to the candidate’s high school career:
- Active membership in school band, orchestra, choir/chorus, or other similar musical performance group.
- Volunteer music participation (non-paid) such as community orchestra or church orchestra or choir.
- Participation in special performances such as school musicals, Battle of the Bands, pep bands, All County/All State Ensemble competitions, solo/ensemble competitions, etc.
- Selected to participate in All County, All State, Regional performances, orchestra side-by-side performances, etc.
- Attending private lessons.
In addition to providing the above information in the scholarship application, candidates will also be evaluated on the following required submissions:
- Essay (350-500 words, typewritten, double-spaced) or narrative video that should answer the questions “What role has music played in my life and how will it shape and influence my future?” and “How will this scholarship assist me?”
- Performance video not to exceed three minutes in length.
Applicants are also required to submit the following supporting documentation:
- Current high school transcript (unofficial is permitted).
- Copy of college acceptance letter.
- Optional: Letter(s) of recommendation from music instructor, coach, or mentor (minimum of one letter is strongly recommended but not required).
Applications and supporting documentation should be mailed to:
PO Box 6262
Annapolis, MD 21401
Applications will also be accepted in digital/soft copy format and can be emailed to email@example.com. All scanned documents must be clear and legible and should be submitted in PDF format. Ensure that all five pages of the application are contained in ONE document, not submitted as multiple pages.
Click here to download and print the application form – it is five pages in length.
Application deadline is April 15, 2020. Awardee will be announced on or about May 15, 2020.
If you have any questions regarding the scholarship, please contact AMFM at firstname.lastname@example.org.
View the 2020 press release here.