The Tim King Music Performance Scholarship
AMFM is now accepting applications for its fourth annual Tim King Music Performance Scholarship. This $5,000 scholarship will be awarded to a current high school senior who intends to pursue a bachelor’s degree in vocal or instrumental music performance.
Candidates must meet the following basic criteria:
- Be a current high school student attending school in Anne Arundel County, scheduled to graduate in May/June 2021
- Be a musician who was active in high school chorus, band, orchestra, jazz band, or other school-sponsored performance group prior to the pandemic
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Intend to pursue a bachelor’s degree in music performance (instrumental or vocal) in the fall of 2021
Candidates will be evaluated using a points-based system. Candidates will be evaluated based on the criteria below. The activities described in the application should only apply to the candidate’s high-school career:
- Active membership in school band, orchestra, choir/chorus, or other similar musical performance group prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Volunteer music participation (non-paid) such as community orchestra or church orchestra or choir prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Participation in special performances, such as school musicals, Battle of the Bands, pep bands, All County/All State Ensemble competitions, and solo/ensemble competitions, prior to the COVID-19 pandemic (and presently, if the school sponsors such opportunities).
- Selected to participate in All County, All State, Regional performances, and/or orchestra side-by-side performances.
- Participation in private music lessons.
In addition to providing the above information in the scholarship application, candidates will also be evaluated on the following required submissions:
- An essay (350-500 words, typewritten, double-spaced) or a narrative video that answers the questions “What role has music played in my life and how will it shape and influence my future?” and “How will this scholarship assist me?”
- At least one performance video not to exceed three minutes in length. A second performance video is recommended that reflects the candidate’s diverse musical styles or interests. [Note: The performance video(s) should not be more than three minutes in length each and must provide a live presentation of the candidate’s musical skills. A highly produced video is not expected; a low-tech performance in the candidate’s home is preferred, or a video of a concert featuring the candidate as a soloist.]
Applicants are also required to submit the following supporting documentation:
- Current high school transcript (unofficial is permitted).
- Copy of college acceptance letter.
- Letter of recommendation from the candidate’s music instructor, coach, or mentor.
Applications and supporting documentation should be mailed to:
PO Box 6262
Annapolis, MD 21401
Applications will also be accepted in digital/soft copy format and can be emailed to email@example.com. All scanned documents must be clear and legible and should be submitted in PDF format. Ensure that all five pages of the application are contained in ONE document, not submitted as multiple pages.
Click here to download and print the application form – it is five pages in length.
Application deadline is April 15, 2021. Awardee will be announced on or about May 15, 2021.
If you have any questions regarding the scholarship, please contact AMFM at firstname.lastname@example.org.
View the 2021 press release HERE.